11 reasons why you should test your hearing
Posted by Michael Schantz, NBC-HIS on November 05, 2019
Hearing loss happens. It’s the third most common health problem for older adults in the U.S., after arthritis and heart disease. Hearing loss is also very treatable — and more beneficial when treatment is started early. If you suspect you have hearing loss, here are 11 reasons why you should schedule a hearing test and find out for sure.
- A hearing test is painless, usually free, and should take less than an hour of your day.
- Untreated hearing loss increases your chance of developing dementia.
- Treating hearing loss early — on the other hand — is one of nine things you can do to help reduce your risk of dementia.
- Hearing loss may be an early warning sign or red flag for other health conditions including cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- If your hearing test shows your hearing is normal, you can say “I told you so” to all the people who said you should get your hearing checked.
- The Mayo Clinic recommends regular, baseline hearing tests for adults.
- Untreated hearing loss increases your chance of falling.
- Treating hearing loss with hearing aids has been proven to reduce the risk of cognitive decline associated with hearing loss.
- Untreated hearing loss is known to contribute to depression and social isolation.
- Hearing loss treatment is associated with delayed diagnosis of Alzheimer’s, anxiety and injurious falls.
- Being proactive about your hearing health today will reap immeasurable benefits tomorrow!